Monday, October 1, 2007

Happy & Grumpy or Money & Happy?

This is the millionth time I’ve felt this way in the last 6 months. I need excitement, I need drive, I need something and I don’t know what it is. Anyone guess what I am talking about? Let’s see….it’s starts with a J and ends with a B and there is an O in the middle. Yep you guessed it….a JOB. Yes, I should be grateful I have one at the given moment due to the “stability” of our lovely Michigan economy and no available work… however I am bored out of my mind. Not that there is not projects to work on, accounts to service or filing to be done, it’s just that I feel blasé about my situation. I’m sure most people would say…”just look for another job” only if it were that easy. Let me list the reasons why it’s not…..

-I make decent money where I am at.
-I have benefits through my employer for my entire family as Dan does not.
-I have a flexible enough schedule that if my kids were sick or I needed to leave for an emergency, I could.
-My husband doesn’t think there is anything wrong with my situation and doesn’t understand money isn’t everything.
-Dan’s favorite quote is “if I got paid what you do to basically do nothing, I wouldn’t complain”
-We don’t have the money for me to quit, pay for insurance and go back to school for anything.

It’s not that I have a grand plan or heck even at 33 years old know what I want to be when I grow up…I just know that I don’t want to be “paper pusher” for the next trillion years and it’s really starting to bum me out. Even though I have been at this current job for 6 years and a prior one for 5 years I basically did the same thing…was a paper pusher. I don’t need to win the lotto, I don’t need a money windfall…I will work and work hard for what I get but I’m at a loss as to what to do.

1 comment:

One of the Bunch said...

Nik,
What is a life long dream of yours? What is a profession that interests you? Something that will push you to become a better person? Remember, when there is a will, there is a way! You're never too old (or broke) to go back to school. Some of us end up with student loans to pay back but if it gets you to where you want to be at in life then isn't it all worth it? Believe me, I understand the decisions are difficult. You can go back to school and continue to work. Just go part time (to school). Reach for your dreams, Nik. Set your goals. Make a point to Brit and Jake that through hard work and dedication, you can achieve your dreams! I know you have it in you, Nik. It's just getting that jump start and going for it. Let me know what I can do to help you on your way. Thinking of you, my friend. -B